Saturday, February 19, 2011

Help Me...I know my thyroid isn't working right! Robert G Carlson, MD, FACS

Most endocrinologists. Internists and Family Practice physicians subscribe to the practice guidelines of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. Guidelines that totally disregard a patient’s symptoms and place more importance on worthless reference range lab values. Why do they totally disregard a patient’s plea of classic symptoms of low thyroid function, with weight gain, exhaustion, hair falling out, dry skin and worsening memory, even depression when confronted with a “normal” TSH level??? I have no idea why. I believe how the patient actually feels is the absolute most important decision making factor in choosing therapy as well as in increasing or decreasing doses. The TSH level is absolutely, unadulteratedly worthless test! Studies have repeatedly shown the ineffectiveness and potential harm of only T4-replacement. The studies show that T4-replacement leaves many patients suffering chronically from hypothyroid symptoms and gaining weight they can't lose through dieting and exercise. I believe Synthroid may be a reasonable medication, but ONLY for someone who has no stress. T4 is inactive, and does not interact well with thyroid receptors. It has to be activated to T3, which is the only form of thyroid hormone that interacts with thyroid receptors. Stress blocks this conversion. Therefore giving a patient synthroid to a patient with any type of physical, emotional or situational stress is a worthless effort. It will not work! Patients have to use the combination of T3, and T4. The T3 will provide immediate energy. I prefer the Armour thyroid from Forrest labs, and avoid the use of generic thyroid supplements.
Now here is one more twist. When a person has Hashimoto’s (Autoimmune Thyroiditis), they have antibodies that have attacked their own thyroid. Because these antibodies “gum” everything up and block any hormone from interacting with thyroid receptors, thyroid levels are absolutely worthless. You can have high “normal “ values and still demonstrate severe low thyroid symptoms. By the way, 30 % of women over the age of 50, will have positive antibodies, and all the lab tests will be worthless. Therefore in these women, women presenting with classic low thyroid symptoms and who are often told their thyroid is “normal”, the ONLY reliable factor for adjusting the thyroid medication dose or the need for treatment is “HOW DO YOU FEEL?” The lab tests are worthless, and the ONLY way to manage Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis is by adjusting the medications to a patient’s signs and symptoms. I repeat …Lab results are worthless, and patient’s symptoms are the most important and only way to adjust medications. The only way! So, spending time speaking with patients, as well as ongoing adjustment of thyroid replacement therapies is critical to achieve optimization of thyroid management.

2 comments:

Just Say Goo said...

Today I was in a doctor’s office and struck up a conversation with the lady next to me. Shortly we were discussing thyroid issues and thyroid treatments. I explained the protocol you had me on, and also that I am on 4 grains of Armour, split AM and PM, daily. She them told me she was on 7, 4 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. I thought to myself ok, that probably makes sense if she has had thyroid issues for a while, which she had based on her story. Anyway, then she told me that she had to go to two different doctors to get it. Stunned, my mouth dropped. I asked her to repeat herself because I was not sure I hear her right. I had. This poor woman has to attend two different doctor offices to acquire two different prescriptions for Armour because neither of them will give her enough to help her! They are going strictly on her TSH levels, she told me, even though she presents with so many hypo- thyroid symptoms. She said a long time ago, from her doctor now diseased, she learned that she had to increase her thyroid until she felt her symptoms go away. That is precisely what she was trying to do but none of her doctors would allow her to do that insisting that she was going to give herself a heart attack. Apparently that is not the case, she is in her mid sixties. Once again, I am stunned a the medical community and their insistence on following a long outdated measurement (TSH) as the basis for thyroid medication. I would really like to hear your thoughts on this Dr. Rob.

Russell Moris said...

I was diagnosed with a low thyroid 5 years ago. I have symptoms of weight gain, tiredness and always being cold. I am so glad when my boyfriend introduced me to natural thyroid . It's a miracle for me!